Final Fantasy XV Review


Disclaimer: Current Wallpaper for my Mac; found the picture on Google Images. I do not own this image.

OH. MY. GOD.

When I saw that this was coming out, I was super excited and literally couldn't contain myself at Christmas. Once I got it, I immediately started to set it up and go on with my adventure featuring the beloved boy band Noctis, Prompto, Ignis and Gladio.

One of the first cutscenes was the boys pushing their broken down car towards a garage in Hammerhead. The amazing music, sung by Florence and the Machine, was the song Stand by Me. What a fitting song for a quartet of brothers. The game is all about relationships and bonds, sense of responsibility and accepting the struggles that come your way and how to overcome them. The brotherhood really develops when you get stuck in with the story as well as side quests.

However, the main story was quite lacking. I recommend that you watch the 4 epsiode anime of Final Fantasy XV. It provides you background on how the four meet and the significance of each individual's role in the team. I particularly found Prompto's episode quite touching as it is a personal journey that Prompt goes through to become the person he is in the game. Anyways, let's not get side tracked, the main story was lacking but still quite satisfying. I found that the female lead, Lunafreya, could have had more screen time and a little more development between the relationship of the Prince and the Oracle. The summon animations were absolutely breathtaking. Square Enix did not mess about with monsters and summons. The detail in larger monsters was noticeable and it really gave the game character!

What I loved was the amount of side quests that you could participate in. I know majority of the people tend to feel that the game is not fulfilling but I swear for once, side quests actually had a purpose and gave you more bonding time, such as the little conversations and quirky comments. Though some side quests were just repeating itself, there was a large variation.

But, there are some differences from the typical Final Fantasy game. The combat system is very independent and you decide how it works to a certain extent. You can set some attacks for Gladio, Ignis and Prompto as well as deciding for Noctis what weapon you want him to switch and use. The combat system is very traditional RPG rather than JRPG in my opinion. If you've played a bunch of PC RPG, then you definitely will find it quite comfortable to adjust. Personally, I quite like the controls as it allows you to have a sense of self in the game, as if you were Noctis you know? Only downside, the pick up item and jump button are connected to the same X button on the PS4. So when you wanna pick up an item, be prepared to jump like 12398390434 times before actually picking it up, hahaha!

Oh! Can't forget about Chocobos! Chocobo Racing, colour changing and being able to see all types of chocobos. Now that's an opportunity for customisation. It really lets you have a kind of pet in a way. You can name a chocobo and change the colour for each of the members.

It's not really Final Fantasy unless the bad guy gets on your nerves. Oh boy, he sure as hell did. Freaking had me pulling my hair out. He is a great villain but an annoying one too. He is portrayed in a predictable way but there was some twists to him. Let's leave it at that ^^

There's so much to discover and to participate in Final Fantasy. DLCs, the recent Carnival update and small quirks that really allow you to love the game. I've not yet completed the game enough for me to put it down but let's say, I can't wait what this game has to offer with its new updates and undiscovered areas!

Have you ever played Final Fantasy? What's your favourite one?

Emmaculate

JustEmmaculate is primarily a gaming blog that talks about Hearthstone, League of Legends and Stardew Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment