Colour Correcting for Dark Skin!



Colour Correcting

Gray undertones? Ashy foundation? Dark circles still showing?

Fear not, there is a solution! Colour Correcting needs to get hyped!!
As a dark-skinned female, I tend to experience discolouration and hyper-pigmentation on my skin. This leads to my foundation not really sufficing, especially drugstore foundation. I mean if you're a someone of colour, you will know the STRUGGLE to find a decent foundation shade that does not make you look ashy. Anyways, let's not get distracted! 

You will only need one colour if you are dark-skinned and a few more colours if you are fair-skinned.
I've only ever used the one Colour Corrector but let me tell you. This is a gem!



Smashbox Colour Correcting Stick Corrector - Look Less Tired Dark


When I was on the hunt for a good corrector, I first had to find out what was required. So let me break it down for you.

Green - Neutralise the colour red; great for covering any redness on your face.
Purple/Lilac - Neutralise the colour yellow; covering dull yellow marks.
Peach/Salmon - Can be used to cover under eye bags on fair skin.
Yellow - can cover bruises of purple/blue tones.

Last but not least, orange. Orange is the only colour corrector, in my opinion, that you will need if you are of dark skin. This is great for covering hyper-pigmentation and under eye bags. Basically anywhere that looks a little darker than your normal skin tone.

The Smashbox Colour Correcting Stick Corrector is way cheaper than buying a palette of correcting shades that I wouldn't use and the formula is so creamy it literally glides on. It corrects extremely well and works exceptional under concealer/foundation. The application is simple, something that I appreciate because make up can be quite complicating at times! 

How to correct:
Well, I correct under and the sides of my mouth. These areas are tend to correct quite lightly. Then under my eyes, that's where everything changes. Just like a concealer, I draw two upside down triangles underneath my eyes and extend it just above my cheekbones. I do this since I really want my highlighter to pop and show its full potential. This allows enables my concealer to brighten the under eye area, resulting in my skin appearing more glowy.

I know that the Smashbox is on the slightly pricier side of the colour correcting specturm but there are alternatives out there that I am currently experimenting with. Two of them are from NYX Cosmetics; they are amazing for darker complexions. Their palette concealer in deep contains an orange concealer, which I like to use as a corrector and they also have a small pot of this beautiful burnt orange colour that does the drink. It's called the Concealer Jar.  

Do you colour correct? What do you think about colour correcting?


Emmaculate

JustEmmaculate is primarily a gaming blog that talks about Hearthstone, League of Legends and Stardew Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment